Test cricket is the longest format of game and scoring a triple hundred in it isn’t an easy job. Eventually lots of players struggle to score ton. A triple hundred means a batsman scores three hundred individual runs in a single test match innings. First ever batsman to score a triple century was English batsman Andy Sandham who smashed 325 runs against West Indies on 3 April, 1930 at Sabina Park in Kingston.
Facts on test cricket triple centuries
1. A total of 30 triple centuries have been scored in the history of test cricket.
2. There are 4 batsmen in the cricket world who have scored triple century twice. Brian Lara (West Indies), Chris Gayle (West Indies), Don Bradman (Australia) and Virender Sehwag (India) have scored triple hundreds on 2-2 occasions each.
3. Brian Charles Lara is the only cricketer who has scored 400 runs in an innings of test cricket. This score of his, is the highest run scorer in test cricket till date.
4. Indian Cricketer Virender Sehwag scored the fastest triple ton of cricket. He smashed 300 runs in 278 balls versus South Africa in 2008.
5. Australia is the most successful country in this list as 7 times an Australian batsman made 300+ runs in tests.
6. St Johns’ Antigua Recreation Ground and Leeds’ Headingley stadium have seen most test triple centuries as on 3-3 occasions each, batsmen scored tons on these venues.
List of Triple Centuries in Tests
|30||Karun Nair||303*||India||England||M. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai||19 December 2016|
|29||Azhar Ali||302*||Pakistan||West Indies||Dubai International Cricket Stadium||13 October 2016|
|28||Brendon McCullum||302||New Zealand||India||Basin Reserve, Wellington||18 February 2014|
|27||Kumar Sangakkara||319||Sri Lanka||Bangladesh||Zohur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium, Chittagong||5 February 2014|
|26||Hashim Amla||311*||South Africa||England||The Oval, London||19 July 2012|
|25||Michael Clarke||329*||Australia||India||Sydney Cricket Ground||3 January 2012|
|24||Chris Gayle||333||West Indies||Sri Lanka||Galle International Stadium||15 November 2010|
|23||Younis Khan||313||Pakistan||Sri Lanka||National Stadium, Karachi||21 February 2009|
|22||Virender Sehwag||319||India||South Africa||M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai||26 March 2008|
|21||Mahela Jayawardene||374||Sri Lanka||South Africa||Sinhalese S.C., Colombo||27 July 2006|
|20||Chris Gayle||317||West Indies||South Africa||Antigua Recreation Ground, St John’s||29 April 2005|
|19||Brian Lara||400*||West Indies||England||Antigua Recreation Ground, St John’s||10 April 2004|
|18||Virender Sehwag||309||India||Pakistan||Multan Cricket Stadium||28 March 2004|
|17||Matthew Hayden||380||Australia||Zimbabwe||WACA Ground, Perth||9 October 2003|
|16||Inzamam-ul-Haq||329||Pakistan||New Zealand||Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore||1 May 2002|
|15||Mark Taylor||334*||Australia||Pakistan||Arbab Niaz Stadium, Peshawar||15 October 1998|
|14||Sanath Jayasuriya||340||Sri Lanka||India||R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo||2 August 1997|
|13||Brian Lara||375||West Indies||England||Antigua Recreation Ground, St John’s||16 April 1994|
|12||Graham Gooch||333||England||India||Lord’s Cricket Ground, London||26 July 1990|
|11||Lawrence Rowe||302||West Indies||England||Kensington Oval, Bridgetown||6 March 1974|
|10||Bob Cowper||307||Australia||England||Melbourne Cricket Ground||11 February 1966|
|9||John Edrich||310*||England||New Zealand||Headingley, Leeds||8 July 1965|
|8||Bob Simpson||311||Australia||England||Old Trafford, Manchester||23 July 1964|
|7||Garfield Sobers||365*||West Indies||Pakistan||Sabina Park, Kingston||26 February 1958|
|6||Hanif Mohammad||337||Pakistan||West Indies||Kensington Oval, Bridgetown||17 January 1958|
|5||Len Hutton||364||England||Australia||The Oval, London||20 August 1938|
|4||Donald Bradman||304||Australia||England||Headingley, Leeds||20 July 1934|
|3||Wally Hammond||336*||England||New Zealand||Eden Park, Auckland||31 March 1933|
|2||Donald Bradman||334||Australia||England||Headingley, Leeds||11 July 1930|
|1||Andy Sandham||325||England||West Indies||Sabina Park, Kingston||3 April 1930|
Most Triple Hundreds by a Batsman
|Batsman||Country||No. of Triple Hundreds||Scores (Latest to First)|
|Brian Lara||West Indies||2||400*, 375|
|Chris Gayle||West Indies||2||333, 317|
|Donald Bradman||Australia||2||304, 334|
|Virender Sehwag||India||2||319, 309|