Cricket’s Asia Cup takes place in every two years time span and top nations playing the sport, participate in the tournament. 13 events have been concluded and 14th Asia Cup to be played in UAE from 15th September.
Let’s have a look at some of the interesting facts about Asia Cup.
Asia Cup Interesting Facts
1. First ever Asia Cup was played in 1984 which was held in UAE and won by India. It was played on round-robin format and team who won most matches in the only round, was declared winner.
2. Only three countries India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka took participation in 1984 Asia Cup.
3. T20 format of the game was introduced for the first time in competition in 2016. Bangladesh hosted 2016 Asia Cup.
4. Bangladesh appeared in Asia Cup for the first time in 1986 edition when India pulled out from the tournament due to sour relations with hosting country Sri Lanka.
5. Bangladesh hosted third Asia Cup in 1988 and Indian team won it.
6. Pakistan pulled out from 1990 Asia Cup due to political tensions with hosting nation India.
7. India’s former spinner Arshad Ayub is the only Indian player to take 5-wicket haul in Asia Cup. He achieved the feat against Pakistan in 1998’s event played in Dhaka. He took five wickets for 21 runs.
8. Asian Cricket Council cancelled 1993 championship after some serious political tensions between India and Pakistan.
9. India has won maximum Asia Cups as they claimed trophy 6 times.
10. Sri Lanka’s Sanath Jayasuriya is the all time leading run scorer in Asia Cup with 1,220 runs in bag.
11. Muttiah Muralitharan is the most successful bowler of Asia Cup as he is the leading wicket-taker in Asia Cup and Murali got 30 wickets in his entire Asia Cup career.
12. Afghanistan appeared in Asia Cup for the first time in 2014.