FIFA Confederations Cup is one of the most fascinating football tournament which takes place in ever 4 years time span. The first ever Confed. cup was played in 1997 which was won by Brazil and hosted by Saudi Arabia. Let’s have a look at some of the top facts and figures about FIFA Confederations Cup.
Facts about FIFA Confederations Cup
1. Initially the tournament was known as “King Fahd Cup” which was hosted by Saudi Arabia in 1992 and 1995. Afterwards from 1997 the championship is known as “FIFA Confederations Cup”.
2. First ever King Fahd Cup was won by Argentina in 1992 meanwhile FIFA Confederations Cup was crowned by Brazil national football team in 1997.
3. Brazil is the most successful team of Confd. cup as they have won four championships in 1997, 2005, 2009 and 2013. They were runner-up in 1999 event too. Hence Brazil have appeared in 5 FIFA Confederations Cup final till date which is most by any nation.
4. Mexico, France and Brazil are the only three countries who have won tournament as hosts. Mexico (1999), France (2003) and Brazil (2013) won Confd. cup at home.
5. Brazil have played 33 FIFA Confederation Cup matches till now which is most by any other team. They have won 23 matches out of these 33 games which is also a record in the history of championship.
6. Brazil holds the record of scoring most goals in the tournament as they have scored 78 goals till date.
7. Mexico have conceded 33 goals in the FIFA Confederations Cup history which is most by any other team.
8. Spain national football team holds the record of highest average of goals scored per match i.e. 2.60.
9. Brazil and Mexico have faced off each other on 4 occasions in the tournament which is the most number of times between two teams.
10. Brazil team was unbeaten in 1997, 2009 and 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup. This is also a record as no other side has remained unbeaten thrice.
11. Brazil soccer team hit 18 goals during 1999 championship which is most by any country in a single event.
12. Being hosts, Germany conceded 11 goals in 2005 confederations cup. This is also a record.
13. Brazil holds the record of most consecutive wins of 12 matches during the time period from 3–2 Germany (2005) to 3–0 Spain (2013).
14. Most successive losses record is attained by New Zealand as they lost 8 consecutive matches from 1–2 United States (1999) to 0–2 South Africa (2009).
15. Ronaldinho (1999, 2005) and Cuauhtemoc Blanco (1997, 1999) scored 9-9 goals each in the final of FIFA confederations cup.
16. Most hat-tricks record in FIFA Confederations Cup is attained by Spanish player Fernando Torres who smashed hat-tricks in 2009 and 2013. He also holds the record of fastest hat-trick which he scored against New Zealand in 2009. The consume time for hat-trick in that match was 11 minutes.
17. Fahad Al-Bishi was the first goal scorer of championship as he scored first ever goal of tournament for Saudi Arabia against United States on 15 October, 1992.
18. Hassan Mubarak scored the fastest goal of FIFA Confederations Cup. He scored goal in just 39 seconds for United Arab Emirates against South Africa at Saudi Arabia. It was 1997 Confederations Cup. UAE secured only win in the tournament by winning this match by 1-0.
19. Spain registered biggest victory of competition as they beat Tahiti by 10-0 in 2013 event. This is the biggest margin of victory till date.
20. Brazilian goal-keeper Dida is the most successful GK of tournament as he holds the record of not conceding a single goal during 1997 and 2005 time period. Dida has most clean sheets in Confederations Cup.