Europe’s premium men’s international football championship UEFA European Championship also known as “UEFA Euro” takes place in every four years span since 1960 when first tournament was played.
A total of 15 editions have been concluded and 16th UEFA Euros will be played in 2020 across 12 countries. Let’s have a look at some of the interesting facts, statistics and figure about European championship.
UEFA Euro facts & stats
1. Originally tournament was named as “European Nations Cup”.
2. Winner of UEFA Euro were progressed to FIFA Confederations Cup till 2016.
3. Germany and Spain are the most successful teams of European Championships as they claim title thrice each in the history.
4. Spain is the only football team to win successive titles as they won 2008 and 2012 championships.
5. UEFA European Championship trophy is known as “Henri Delaunay Trophy” which is named to honor UEFA’s first general secretary Henri Delaunay who proposed to start this competition for Europe continent. But Henri died five year before the first edition in 1960.
6. Henri Delaunay Trophy weighs 8 kilograms and it’s height is 60 centimeters.
7. This UEFA Euro championship was started with 4 teams compete in the finals. From 1980, eight countries used to compete in the event meanwhile it was expanded to 16 teams from 1996 edition onwards. UEFA expanded European championship team from 16 to 24 in 2016.
8. Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system to be introduced in UEFA Euro championship in 2020 Pan-European event.
9. Germany holds the record of scoring and conceding most goals in the competition. They scored 72 goals till now meanwhile have conceded 48 as well.
10. Portugal is the only country to lose an European Championship final as hosts in 2004.
11. France’s Michel Platini is the only footballer to score two hat-tricks in the competition.