The second edition of men’s football world cup championship was played in 1934. Italy hosted the tournament from 27 May to 10 June across 8 cities in the country. Being hosts, Italy qualified for the event directly and they won it defeating Czechoslovakia in the final.
Let’s checkout some amazing and interesting facts and figures about FIFA world cup 1934.
FIFA World Cup 1934 Facts
1. Italy was the first European to win FIFA world cup in 1934.
2. 1934 world cup was the first event when teams had to qualify for the main tournament. 32 nations appeared in the qualifying round and 16 teams qualified for main event.
3. First world cup winner and title defender Uruguay denied to participate due to the fact only four European countries accepted their invitation to play 1930 event.
4. Italian government allocated 3.5 million lire for 1934 world cup.
5. 1934 FIFA World Cup is the only event when a title defending champion team didn’t participate in the competition.
6. Being hosts, Italy had to qualify for the main fifa world cup 1934 event. This was the only occasion when a hosting nation had to qualify for finals.
7. The second edition of World cup attracted more overseas supporters to the stadium than any other football tournament ever before then.
8. It was the only occasion when all qualifying quarter-final teams were from Europe. Austria, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland were the last 8 teams in the 1934 world cup.
9. A total of 70 goals were scored in 1934 soccer world cup and Czechoslovakia’s Oldrich Negedly were the top goal scorer of the tournament with 5 goals.
10. It’s been reported since long throughout the years that Italian dictator Benito Mussolini influenced the tournament by assigning his choice referees for Italian team matches. There was bribery and corruption involved throughout the 1934 world cup as per reported by several media outlets.