Brazil hosted the fourth edition of football world cup in 1950 from 24 June to 16 July across 6 cities. Uruguay won the world cup title defeating hosts Brazil in the final.
Let’s checkout some interesting and amazing facts and statistics about FIFA World Cup 1950.
1950 Football World Cup Facts
1. 1950 world cup was played after 12 years long run as previous two tournaments were cancelled in 1942 and 1946 due to World War-2.
2. Uruguay won their second FIFA World Cup trophy as they won the inaugural championship in 1930.
3. 1950 was the only world cup which was not decided by a single final match. Four team s competed in the final round to decide champion.
4. To mark the 25th anniversary of FIFA president Jules Rimet, the fifa world cup trophy was referred and popular as Jules Rimet Cup.
5. Italy’s football team travelled to Brazil via boat instead of plan. This happened because of Superga air disaster.
6. There was only one slot for Asian team to qualify for the tournament. Philippines, Indonesia, and Burma withdrew which made India qualify for 1950 FIFA world cup.
7. Top world cup teams like Argentina and Belgium didn’t play fourth edition of soccer world cup as they withdrew from the event citing respective issues.
8. Originally 16 teams were scheduled to take part in the 1950 world cup but India, Scotland and Turkey withdrew at the end moment. Hence 13 teams compete in the competition.
9. Brazil government launched a stamp featuring football stadium to promote FIFA world cup.
10. England made their world cup debut in 1950 tournament.
11. Brazil’s Ademir Menezes was the leading goal scorer of the competition with 8 goals.
12. Only one own goal took place during the competition and that came from Spain’s Jose Parra.