Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior aka Neymar Jr is set to out throne Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo from being the best players of football. The Brazilian caught the eyes of the world after his high-profile transfer to FC Barcelona in 2013. Today we will share some unknown facts about the Brazilian prodigy.
Neymar Jr Facts
- Neymar was born on February 5, 1992 in Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil.
- He played futsal and street pickup games growing up in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and began his career playing for Santos’s junior team when he was 11.
- On his 20th birthday he scored his 100th professional goal. Amazing!
- He almost joined Real Madrid when he was 14 years old. He passed all of the tests and was ready to make the move official but Santos paid a hefty price to keep him with them.
- He became father when he was 19 with his former girlfriend and mother of his son Carolina Dantas. His son name is ‘Davvi Luca’.
- Neymar won the South American Footballer of the Year Award in 2011 and 2012.
- Neymar won the FIFA Puskás award in 2011 for his extraordinary goal against Flamengo for Santos FC.
See also: Neymar Jr amazing goal
- In 2012, he was featured on the cover of the Pro Evolution Soccer video game along with Cristiano Ronaldo.
- In May 2013, he was named as the most marketable athlete on the planet by the SportsPro magazine. He topped the list over other world renowned athletes like Usain Bolt, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.
- He is the only Brazilian athlete to be on the cover of Time Magazine.
- In 2013, Neymar appeared on a rap music video “Pais do Futebol” from MC Guime. The video topped in 15 countries including Brazil and USA.
- Brazilian cartoonist Mauricio released a Monica’s Gang comic in April 2013, featuring a baby version of Neymar Jr.
- He is one of the highest paid footballers. His yearly salary is 8.8m euro (nearly $10m USD) and he also earns $16 million from various endorsements.
- Each year, Neymar organizes a charity match with fellow Brazilian footballer Nenê in Nenê’s hometown of Jundiaí, with the purpose of raising food for needy families.
- Neymar has play style of Garrincha, a former . He himself quoted “It is good to be compared with the best player [Pele]. But my dad told me about Garrincha’s style as he moved forward, went up, attacked and dribbled. Garrincha’s style is more similar to me.”
I hope you have enjoyed the article. Stay tuned for more interesting ones.